The main objectives of MEDIADEM are the following:
- To understand what constitutes ‘the media’ in today’s complex media environment, as well as the nature of media freedom and independence and its importance for democracy.
- To understand ‘media policy’ and identify the full array of the regulatory models which support media freedom and independence.
- To examine the diversity of media landscapes, state structures and regulatory frames in 14 European countries.
- To explore the design and implementation of media policies in 14 European states and identify the factors that exert an influence throughout the process.
- To evaluate and explain variable patterns of media policy-making from a cross-country and cross-media comparative perspective in order to identify best practices for the promotion of free and independent media.
- To engage directly with the policy community and civil society in order to reflect on appropriate policy responses to the challenge of realising media freedom and independence.
- To develop concrete policy recommendations for state and non state actors, the European Union and the Council of Europe, regarding the development of policies which foster media freedom and independence.